Monday, December 22, 2008

That Boy Can Run!

This time every year the kids ears seem to work miraculously better than ever before. They can hear the sirens from miles away, and they get crazy waiting for the fire truck to come down our street. As the sirens get louder so do the children. They know that Santa is on that fire truck and they just can't wait to see him, even my older two who know he's not real still get just as excited! Little Christian isn't used to this yet, his memory is just starting to get better. But Courtney and Ryan got him plenty crazy reassuring him that Santa will be on that fire truck. His eyes lit up, the magic of it all is so alluring for a 2 year old. He stood at the curb jumping up and down, yelling "Santa, Santa!" for like 15 minutes till they finally came to our street.
He was mesmerized by Santa and I was mesmerized by his enthusiasm. It's such a beautiful sight, seeing a small child who believes and delights with every ounce of his being. The look on his face was truly priceless. As Santa slowly drove by Christian is waving and yelling "Hi Santa, I want a fire truck!" and "Bye Santa, I love you!". After he passed, Christians awestruck face turned to me and said "Mama, I wanna see Santa again!" Immediately falling in love with that look on his face I told him we could go down the street to see him again, not really sure if we'd be able to catch up to him though. Boy, did I underestimate the excitement that was running through his veins, because the second I said yes he took off down the street after him. I ran behind Christian, barley able to keep up with him, his little feet moving a mile a minute. I've never seen such tiny legs move so damn fast! Santa's fire truck stopped down the street so that the kids could come sit on his lap, and Christian kept pushing the other kids out of his way. When it was finally Christians turn he sat up on Santa's lap with a goofy grin on his face and didn't say a word. It was adorable!
Santa was talking to him, and the first question he asked was "What's your name?" Worst idea ever Santa. Later that night after all the excitement, when we were putting Christian to bed he was talking about his experience with Santa. Then suddenly he got an incredibly distraught look on his face, so I asked him what was wrong. His reply... "Santa didn't know my name... I'm Christian Michael MacDonald!" Stupid Santa. But he did eventually forget about that, and he's super excited to go get his picture taken with Santa tonight. I can't wait til Christmas morning!

No comments: